Sunday, October 9, 2016

Post Substitute Job

I want to talk about my experience this week because I am using it as a learning experience. I was a substitute again this last week for the same teacher I did before. This time it was a half day instead of a full day.  The three hours I was there for are the three hours I am normally observing so they know me from that.  Just like last time I talked to the teacher the night before to find out what I would be doing that day.  She said that it would be a very easy day because the first two hours were getting a work day and the last hour had a quiz.  Fourth and fifth hour are Algebra II classes and the teacher had given them so much information the previous day that she decided to give them a work day to get more of the assignment done and to be able to ask questions.  She wanted me to let them correct the first problem from each section of the homework and then gave me a list of additional problems they were to work on and turn in when they were finished.  There were only five problems they needed to correct so it did not take long before they could start on their assignment. In fact, both classes were given about 45-50ish minutes to complete their assignment.  I allowed them to move around and work with other people in case they would rather ask their classmates questions instead of me.  Fourth hour seemed fine and although not everyone was working on the teachers assignment the entire hour, I did not say anything because the majority did get it done. Then fifth hour came. This class is much larger then fourth hour and is definitely the more talkative group.  I told them to start correcting their assignment right away because I wanted to give them as much time as possible to work. The majority of the class never even got the assignment out but I left it alone because who knows if they actually did it or not.

Once they (meaning the ones actually correcting) were finished I gave them the right of the assignment which was on the projector screen the entire hour. I told them to turn it in when they were finish and said they could move around to work with other people but to make sure to be working.  There were students right up front that asked me questions almost the entire hour which were math related questions. I got one question that was not math related. I was asked if by substituting I got any credit toward any of my college classes. I told them that although I don't get direct credit toward a class, subbing is a great experience and I can use it to write about in my blogs. The answer I gave was quick and the student got right back to work. I continued to help students the rest of the hour. I noticed a majority of students never stopped the side conversations and phones were never put away. Although I thought about saying something a wise person told me before my first substitute job to pick my battles. I also know this teacher well enough to know that if students don't get their work done when given a work day the chances of them ever getting another work day is very small.  I saw many students turn in their assignment but notice a good portion did not.  Again I remembered to pick my battles, I will just leave her a note saying that I don't think everyone worked on her assignment. Sixth hour was fine because all they did was take a quiz.

A few days later when I went to observe, the teacher I help out with came over to me. She said she was debating on whether or not she wanted to call her fifth hour out while I was in the room. Some of them told her the reason they didn't get their assignment done was because I didn't give them all the information and that I sat there and gossiped with them the entire hour.  I felt totally embarrassed even though I did nothing wrong and she even knows they were lying. I asked her not to say anything. Ever since she told me this I have not been able to stop thinking about it. The fact of the matter is that I was trying to be nice and told them they were welcome to ask me any questions to get to know me better since I knew I would be volunteering the entire year. I wanted them to feel like they could ask me questions during class too.  I in no way was gossiping the entire time or for any portion of that time.  My job as a substitute was to give them the information they need to get there work done. Whether they choose to listen or carry on with their conversations is up to them. I did this by projecting the assignment the entire hour up on the screen. 

I can stand at the front of the room and tell them to do their assignment as many times as I want but that does not mean they will do it. I was helping students with their work.  I could have left a lot more in the note I left for their teacher or even told her later that night when she texted me asking how it went. But I don't want them to think I will tell her everything that happens so that I can get them in trouble. I want them to trust me and have some sort of respect for me as a substitute and volunteer.

If they would have had any other substitute the teacher may have believed what these students had said. The teacher I was subbing for also knows me much better and knows I would never gossip the entire hour and I am so thankful for her. I talked to her and have used this as a learning experience. Although students will test you as a substitute you can't let it get to you. Next time I sub I will adapt and change how I act during this hour. I will also change rules for the hour and next time students won't be able to move around during the hour. Although most of the class did as they were supposed to it is sad to think that one or even a few students can ruin chances for the rest of the class.

Here are a few questions I have for you. What would you do the next time you sub for these students? Also, why do you think students waste so much time when they could get their work done? Do you think they don't do the assignment because they don't know how to do it or do you think they just don't want to?

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this! I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, but I am happy that you took it as a learning experience, which is a very awesome attitude to have. In answer to one of your questions, I think students don't do the work because they think that substitutes will never call them out on not doing anything. Even though I love math now, I know that when I was in high school, I spent all of the time I had a sub either talking to my friends or texting. I think students think substitutes are either too scared or don't care enough to call them out on not doing work.
    I think your strength is how personal and relatable you made this story. It made the questions you presented a lot more critical and easy to think about. My challenge for you is this: Answer your own questions at the end. What would you do? Why do you think these students acted like this? If you did something like this when you were in high school, what were your motivations? How can you relate those experiences to this one?
    Awesome post, and again, I really enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Olivia! Very interesting post! I liked hearing from the perspective of you as a teacher whereas most of us are still in the observation stage. One strength that I saw in this was the way that you reflected on the experience. I enjoyed your verbal processing in this post; it made me feel like I was there with you! All these experiences are good things. One suggestion I might add is to include some specific examples! You don't have to include names (or maybe make up fake names), but I think some specific stories could be helpful in getting your point across too! Very interesting post, overall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been open in a tab for almost 2 weeks! Sorry for the delay in feedback.

    You raise big questions, and to some extent they apply to teachers as well as substitutes. One of my favorite frameworks says engagement requires safety for learners, learners need to see themselves as potential doers, and see what they're doing as furthering their purposes. Time with a substitute makes it hard to do all three! Even just substituting again, getting experience helping them will help. Meeting them where they are will help; class with a structure, demonstrating that you can help them understand the material.

    5C's +

    ReplyDelete